Sausage Rolls Three Ways

Sausage rolls are in my top 5 favourite savoury snacks. As you’ll see from previous posts, I’m more of a fan of savoury than sweet (although I do like to dabble with sweet things too!).

For Christmas, my lovely wife got me a mincer. This mincer comes with a sausage attachment and she also bought me some sausage skins and a flavouring pack to make Lincolnshire sausages! We had a couple of attempts at making sausages which turned out not too bad. It is, however, a little difficult to use the machine on your own when you’re filling the skins. As such I wanted to make something I could do on my own; I chose sausage rolls. I didn’t want to make just regular sausage rolls, I wanted to push the boat out a bit in regards to various flavours.

I like a classic sausage so I made pork, sage and onion. I’m a fan of spices so I did a pork, chilli and paprika sausage. I also like interacting flavours so I made a pork, apple and fennel sausage.

I started by buying a nice big piece of pork shoulder. I got this piece from the supermarket for less than £6! It was around 1.7kg. I trimmed the skin off and cut it up and I was left with about 1.3kg of pork and some skin. With the skin I made super tasty pork scratchings. They were a big hit in my house! I used a really easy recipe from Snaffling Pig book which you can find here.

I minced all the pork on the largest of the two settings which came with the mincer. Once I’d done that I separated the mince out into three equal portions.

For the sage and onion filling I sautéed off some onion and sage in a little butter until it was softened, left it to cool down and the mixed with the pork mince along with some seasoning. I then passed the mince back through the mincer on the smaller setting and then boxed it up and left it in the fridge overnight.

For the spicy sausage, I added 1tsp chilli flakes, 1tsp smoked paprika, 1/2tsp garlic granules and seasoning. It was then passed through the smaller mincer setting and boxed up.

sausage - chilli and paprika mince

With the apple and fennel, I chopped up the apple into small pieces and caramelised it for a little while in a frying pan with the fennel seeds and a little sugar. Once it had browned I set it to one side to cool before mixing half into the mince and passing through the mincer on the smaller setting. I then added the remaining  apple and fennel mixture to the fine mince.

For all of the mixes, once I’d finely minced them I took a small amount and fried it to test for seasoning and adjusted as necessary.

All the mince was left in the fridge until the next day to allow the flavours to develop.

I used pre-made puff pastry for this as it was much simpler (even the great Mary Berry suggests buying pre-packed!)

I got the puff pastry out of the fridge about 10 minutes before I was going to use it. I unrolled the pastry and then cut it in half, lengthways. I then took the mince and created a sausage of the meat down the middle of each piece of pastry. I wet the edge of the pastry to assist with it sealing and the rolled the pastry over the meat. I cut each long sausage roll into 12 pieces, transferred them to a lined baking tray and gave them an egg wash. I topped each flavour so they could be differentiated. The pork, sage and onion I left plain, the chilli and paprika were topped with sesame seeds and the pork, apple and fennel I sliced and sprinkled fresh ground black pepper.

Each batch of sausage rolls were baked for around 20-25 minutes until they were golden brown and the pastry was cooked thoroughly.

All in all there were 72 sausage rolls!

I had several taste testers (thank you all) and not a single complaint.

My only thoughts were that I should have more aggressively seasoned the mince as it seemed to have settled a bit in the fridge and with the pastry. I would also have make the chilli and paprika flavour stronger by using chilli powder as well as chilli flakes.

This isn’t the first time I’ve made sausage rolls, and it most certainly will not be the last!

1. February 23, 2018

I love homemade sausage rolls but I’ve never made the sausagemeat from scratch too. They look delicious!

• February 23, 2018

Thanks, Corina! It’s so easy, and a simple hand mincer is really cheap. You can use it to mince all sorts of meat and veg.

2. February 25, 2018

I love making homemade sausage rolls so much better than shop bought ones.

3. February 26, 2018

I love sausage rolls that I take them not only for breakfast but also for my during-the-day eats! So unfortunate it gets cold and I can’t warm it up especially when I’m not close to the house. Ha-ha! Anyway, you made 72 sausage rolls??! From scratch? That’s so admirable!I now wish I was your guest then but too bad… They are very delicious anyone would love them.

4. February 26, 2018

I love sausages and always depend on cafes for a good one. You have shared really easy recipe and now I have no excuse not to try this at home.

5. Sigrid Says Blog
    February 26, 2018

I love sausage rolls but I just buy them. No time to cook. Yours look so good! 😀 Can I drop by your house? hahaha

6. February 27, 2018

For some reason I thought these are very difficult to make but your step by step guide makes it super easy to try.

• February 27, 2018

It really is very easy, even if you don’t want to or are not able to make your own sausage meat. You could by some good quality sausages, take them out of the skins and then add your own flavours.

7. Kartika nair
    February 27, 2018

I’m a vegetarian but my family loves eating non veg . So I have to look for different non veg recipe every now and then . This seems a quick recipe to try . I’m gonna make it for them . Thanks😊

• February 27, 2018

I’ve made cheese versions of sausage rolls before so that could be an option for you 🙂

8. February 27, 2018

Love that you have your own mincer, it does not even seem like big equipment. Plus who doe not love a good sausage roll.

• February 27, 2018

My wife was kind enough to get it for me as a Christmas present 🙂

9. If I were to chose, then I would definitely go with the Spicy Sausage. All the good things in one sausage roll. Well, I am quite intrigued to know which one of the three is your favorite?

• February 27, 2018

It was the apple and fennel for me. I probably would’ve chosen the chilli one if I’d made it a bit more ferocious.

10. Dana
    February 28, 2018

This is the perfect recipe to add to my events. I love the combination of ingredients

11. February 28, 2018

My Mom also loves making her homemade sausages, yes including the vegan sausage 🙂
    It is also her way to recycle leftover foods at home.

• February 28, 2018

Fantastic idea! Nothing wrong with throwing in a little of this and a little of that.

12. February 28, 2018

The first time I ever had a sausage roll was during my study abroad in England. We have something sort of the same realm called empanadas that also has a pastry type filled with savory fillings. I wouldnt mind a sausage roll right about now.

• February 28, 2018

I never thought about them being similar to empanadas. I love empanadas!

13. February 28, 2018

These look like an awesome dish for a game day or a potluck! My boyfriend would love these 🙂

14. Chelsea Elizabeth
    March 3, 2018

Sausage rolls are one of my favourites and I’m not sure why but I prefer the little cocktail sausage rolls over a full size one. Flaky pastry is a must!

• March 3, 2018

You would have liked these then! Only a little bigger than the frozen cocktail sausage rolls and really flakey!

15. Lukhi Diamond
    March 17, 2018

hey dear,
    thank you so much for sharing,your post are wonderful and really so use for me….

16. March 21, 2018

I’m a huge fan of sausage rolls. I’ve never made them at home before though. That needs to change! Your recipe seems very easy! Pining this for later so I can give it a go! YUM!