Roux at Parliament Square – Pembury Bar

Roux at Parliament Square is located in the stunning Royal Institute of Charter Surveyors building on Great George Street, just off Parliament Square. The Pembury Bar is upstairs from the main restaurant which is where we ate. It’s named after Pembury in Kent where Michel Roux Jnr was born. It’s a sophisticated venue which offers drinks and a “light menu”. I chose it for dinner because I’m a big fan of the Roux dynasty and because they have an amazing set menu which offers 2 courses for £16, 3 courses for £19 and, if you book online, 3 courses and a glass of wine for £22!

Pembury - internal

The menu offered three choices per course which is pretty standard. Between us, my three companions and I had a good selection of all the courses. We tried two of the starters and mains and all three of the desserts.

Pembury - external
Set Menu

For the starter, I had Ratte Potato. This was a potato velouté with cubes of Mangalitsa black pudding and croutons and garnished with three cornered garlic. Silky smooth potato with amazingly crunchy croutons and rich black pudding. It was finished with a drizzle of olive oil. Delicious.

Pembury - ratte potato
Ratte Potato

One of my friends had the smoked cured beef. The dish was essentially a very posh bruschetta with thinly sliced pieces of smoked cured beef layed delicately on the top. I’m assured it was very good.

For the main course, three of us chose the confit duck leg with cavolo nero and haricot beans. This was some of the very best duck I’d ever had. The duck was crispy skinned and the meat was succulent and not at all dry, thanks to being cooked in fat. The cabbage was well cooked and the haricot beans were just the right side of firm. The other member of my group opted for the fish pie which looked fantastic. He said it was the best mash potato on the top and the sauce and fish were excellent.

For the dessert, we had all 3 of the options between 4 of us. Desserts called Raw Cacao, Pistachio financier and Salted Caramel Tart. The financier was a lovely ring of pistachio sponge with pieces of different types of pear, roasted pistachios and a quinelle of ice cream. It was fantastic. I enjoy pears very much as this took them to another level.

Pembury - mains
Pistachio Financier

Two of my friends had the salted caramel tart which was silky smooth, slightly salty with a scorched sugar top, ice cream, a crumble on the side and a very small spot of marmalade which I’m told was one of the best things on the plate.

Pembury - mains
Salted Caramel Tart

The raw cacao was a layered dessert with a chocolate and peanut butter. I can’t tell you too much about it to be honest as it wasn’t on my friends plate long enough!

Pembury - mains
Raw Cacao

We had a great evening at The Pembury Bar. It’s a beautiful venue with a really relaxed atmosphere which anyone can enjoy. They’ve done an excellent of making it accessible. I hope to return and try the main restaurant at some time in the future.

Pembury - internal

1. March 2, 2018

The 3 courses with wine was such a good deal! This place looks like a must try, I would’ve opted for confit duck too~~

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

~

2. March 2, 2018

Oh my goodness those desserts look INSANE!!! My only problem would be I wouldn’t know which one to choose!!!!

3. March 2, 2018

I had no idea a bar like this exists nearby in Parliament Square and honestly, the prices are not too bad for food that looks good as that one. I’ll pay a visit soon.

4. Laurence
    March 3, 2018

Some fancy deli. Parliament Square looks like worth the price restaurant. And the desserts makes me drool, especially the salted caramel and raw cacao, looks yummy!

5. March 3, 2018

The food looks amazing. I think I’d probably have to sample that raw cacao to give an official opinion 😉 The Caramel Pie looked inviting as well. I can’t help it. I have a sweet tooth 🙂

6. March 3, 2018

To read this post at this time of night was major difficult! All that delicious food staring out at me from my computer screen and I can’t have it! OMG. If I were there, I would attack those desserts first! All three of them!

7. March 4, 2018

Fantastic descriptions and great pictures! I love the potato dish and the desserts.

8. March 5, 2018

That place looks almost royal! I loved looking at the photos, especially the desserts and now I am hungry.

9. My Teen Guide
    March 5, 2018

The pistachio financier looks so divine! This is such an awesome place to dine. The ambiance is tops and the food is fantastic!

10. March 5, 2018

It looks so stylish in there and I love the sound of the menu.

11. March 5, 2018

I think that three courses and a bottle of wine for £22 is not a bad deal at all. The celeriac and dessert sound delicious but unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to have the vegetarian main as I am allergic to mushrooms! Do you know if they would be willing to create a different main instead that is vegetarian? I have to say that I was most impressed by the dessert!

• March 5, 2018

With establishments such as this I’ve found that they’re very accommodating. I had a friend with me who cannot eat pork or alcohol and they said they would be able to alter dishes in this way. It’s always worth asking in advance of booking though as you’re not disappointed.

12. March 5, 2018

Such a classy place. It looks like a romantical place to visit. Now that Salted caramel Tart looks yummy, and too good to eat. Great post.

13. March 5, 2018

It’s so interesting to me to see how many times circles are incorporated. The light fixture, the chairs, the mirror, the tables and even the food. Very cohesive, and it looks like a posh place! 🙂

14. March 6, 2018

Post like these make me excited for the day that I can reach into my computer screen and grab whatever I want. Like that salted caramel tart. Everything in this post looks divine, the execution and display is to die for!

Best,

Idora

15. March 6, 2018

Those desserts look awesome! I would have to steer clear of the peanut butter one (big allergy), but the caramel tart looks absolutely delicious!

16. March 8, 2018

This looks like a wonderful bar and that you had a good time. All of the food looks delicious, but especially the dessert 🙂

17. March 10, 2018

3 courses and a bottle of wine for £22 thats a good deal and the restaurants looks very trendy as well.

18. March 15, 2018

The three course meal looks totally rad. I doubt one would be able to finish a complete three course meal. THe ambiance of the place makes it the perfect place for a dinner date.

• March 15, 2018

You wouldn’t have a problem at all. My friend has a small appetite but she finished every bite!

19. March 19, 2018

I would love to take pictures in here! Take me with you next time.

20. March 20, 2018

Oh wow, this looks so fancy and romantic! I’d love to go here for a date with my hubby. Thanks for sharing! <3