The Lord Northbrook

My family loves a good Sunday roast. We try to have one every week, even if it’s not on Sunday. We also like to occasionally go out for Sunday lunch. Luckily for us we have The Lord Northbrook within walking distance. Having previously been voted as having the best Sunday roast in London, it really delivers.

The Lord Northbrook is a Fuller’s pub in Lee, not far from Lewisham and Greenwich. It was revamped and relaunched in 2011 as a trendy, family oriented local. They lean a bit towards gastro with their food, slightly crafty with their beers and reflect both of these things in their prices.

Lord Northbrook - Sunday Lunch menu
Sunday lunch menu

It had been a few months since our last visit so, inspired by a 20% off voucher I got via email, we booked in for a roast. We arrived a few minutes early and the friendly staff showed us to our table, informing me once we got there that their starter of ox cheeks was off and replaced with kedgeree. We’re not usually in for starters so this didn’t bother us at all. The menu had a generous selection to choose from. My wife went for the onglet steak and chips whilst I went for the roast chicken two ways; I was intrigued to find out what the two ways were.

It turned out that two ways was 1. Roast chicken leg and thigh and 2. Roasted chicken supreme with garlic and herbs. I was expecting something a little more spectacular like a ballotine. Perhaps I was expecting too much since this is just a pub after all.(but please don’t let this make you think that I didn’t enjoy it as I enjoyed it very much!). Both pieces of chicken were well cooked and the Yorkshire pudding and accompanying vegetables were lovely. My little boy was particularly fond of the carrots. I particularly like the braised red cabbage.

Lord Northbrook - Onglet steak and chips
Onglet steak and chips

My wife’s onglet steak came out and looked very nice. Well done but not dry; only a very small bit had pinkness to it so not a lot got passed to my plate. The chips and chimichurri which came with it were absolutely delicious (which my son also enjoyed!)

After a little while we decided to treat ourselves to dessert. I went for one of my favourites, sticky toffee pudding. It was not too dense but packed with flavour. I found the accompanying sauce was a little thin so not quite as good as the one I had at Gillrays. My wife had a lemon tart with raspberry sorbet. She said that it was very sweet but the raspberry sorbet helped balance it. It was suffering from a bit of a soggy pastry case though, which was a shame.

Lord Northbrook - Butcombe Brewing Co Adam Henson's Rare Breed
Butcombe Brewing Co Adam Henson’s Rare Breed

During the visit I had a couple of beers. I tried one off the cask from the Butcombe Brewing Company called Adam Henson’s Rare Breed. This beer is “the result of Adam Henson’s dedication to sustainable farming and a passion for characterful, artisanal beer.” Adam Henson is one of my favourite TV personalities and this beer does him proud. A good, solid session beer “with a smooth, citrus twist”. I very much enjoyed it. I followed that up with an old favourite, Sierra Nevada IPA which is a stalwart on the Fullers pub taps. Always dependable and tasty.

This visit to Lord Northbrook was not outstanding. To be honest, I wouldn’t expect that from a pub. The food was very good, the drinks were cold, wet and satisfying. The service was good, if a little slow at times but it was a Sunday afternoon so they were quite busy therefore to be expected.

Lord Northbrook - all gone
All gone!

As long as we’re living in the area we’ll keep going back because The Lord Northbrook hits all the right sort of notes for us. My only criticism would be that the drinks prices are a little on the high side. Our son had a small carton of Cawston Press apple and pear juice which set us back £2, and £6 for a pint of Sierra Nevada would be expected in a central London venue but this is a Zone 3 pub. We got a good deal this time with 2 courses each plus drinks for £49 but at a full price of £62.25 we could’ve gone somewhere much more upmarket and eaten and drank the same amount.

1. February 2, 2018

Those yorkshire puddings look amazing! I would definitely have left with a clean plate as well – and probably too full to eat for the rest of the day!

2. February 2, 2018

Beautiful! My girlfriend and I are looking for an interesting place to travel this summer and this could make the list if we ever get up that way. Sending to her now to see what she thinks 🙂

3. thefashionwanderer
    February 2, 2018

I love great food with great crafted beer! I never tried sustainable farming and brewed beer before. I’m sure it’s fantastic! The menu looks absolutely mouth watering!

4. February 3, 2018

It’s nice to see blogs about London 🙂 I’ve been here for 3 years now and I still haven’t had Sunday roast, Pie Mash and Liquor and Bangers and mash. I think the only British staple I’ve tried is Fish and chips so far.

• February 3, 2018

You’re missing out! Sunday roast and pie and mash are absolute musts. Even if you don’t live in London!

5. February 3, 2018

Feeling like a Glazed Lemon Tart.. to eat, I don’t actually think I’m a tart. This is probably why I can’t be trusted on food blogs but all of those meals look so wonderful!

• February 3, 2018

Hahaha!! Everyone should read food blogs regardless of how inappropriate their comments may be :p

6. Laurence
    February 3, 2018

Drooling here. Now I’m craving for steak and wow, the roast two way chicken looks really yummy. And end it with pudding dessert. 🙂

7. February 3, 2018

Nothing can satisfy you more than a picture of fries and delicious desserts . I love food blogs it keeps my Hungry soul satisfied . Wish I could have the taste of the Roast chicken two ways it really looks delicious.

8. Vicky
    February 3, 2018

This isn’t too far from me! My fiancé and I were in Deptford today looking for somewhere to eat so thank you for recommending this!

• February 3, 2018

That’s awesome! There’s only one place to eat in Deptford on a Saturday afternoon – Manzes!

9. February 3, 2018

Oh that steak looks delicious! I’d have mine very well done too but I love it when it’s still tasty and not dry. A skill quite hard to master!

• February 3, 2018

It’s not the easiest! I’ve had many years of cooking them for my wife so I’m pretty good by now.

10. February 3, 2018

Oooh that chicken looks amazing! What a fab menu that looks to be, it actually made me hungry!

• February 3, 2018

I have to stop myself looking at it because I keep seeing things I wish I’d tried!

11. February 3, 2018

That is way too much meat on a plate for me. I could eat one quarter of it and be satisfied! Still it is interesting to see what is being served in different places around the world, so thanks for the photos along with the description.

12. February 4, 2018

One of the things I miss about studying abroad in England is the roasts at the local pubs. Love the selecton Lord Northbrook has, especially the puddings. yum!

13. February 4, 2018

Sticky toffee Pudding– it looks so delicious..craving highly highly for it.

14. February 4, 2018

The food looks very yummy. I can see you had a great time with the empty plate. Must have been delicious.

15. February 4, 2018

I love a Sunday roast and finding a good one in London is such a mission. Thanks for the recommendation! x

• February 4, 2018

You’re welcome! Hope you find something nice and close to you.

16. February 4, 2018

This looks amazing. All of the food here looks incredible. It just reminds me that it’s been too long since I have been to a good pub. I will have to look for one around me soon.

17. February 5, 2018

Those desserts looked so tempting! I might just have to take a trip to this side of the world!

18. February 5, 2018

yum this looks incredibly delicious. I have such a sweet tooth and want to try every single one of these deserts.