Our Third Anniversary

For our anniversary I like to take us to new restaurants. Lucy can be a little bit of a picky eater so it can be a bit of a chore finding somewhere where she will eat something on the menu!

This year I thought we could go to a steak restaurant we had never been to. I had a look on OpenTable for good steak restaurants and, after a little research, I decided on Missouri Angel.

I must admit, when we first arrived I was deflated. There was a little sign above a very small pub. Inside the pub there was a handwritten sign indicating the restaurant was upstairs. When we got upstairs the restaurant was totally empty of customers. In fact, it was empty of customers, except us, for the duration of our stay! The restaurant itself is pleasant, at first glance at least. When you looked closer there were cracked window panes, dead flies on the window sills and several of the dining chairs were in need of some serious TLC.

IMG_9939
Restaurant interior

The waiter we had was very friendly and not overly attentive. We were offered drinks and bread when we arrived. They had two beers on offer; Doom Bar and Peroni. I had the Doom Bar and Lucy had the Peroni. This wasn’t a wine drinking evening. We didn’t want starters so we got stuck in with the mains.

I had a 10oz Ribeye (medium rare) with tobacco onions and cheesy mash and Lucy had a 10oz New York Strip (well done) which came with French fries. The steaks were delicious. Cooked exactly as we had ordered. The sides were ample, tasty and well seasoned.

We both fancied a dessert so were excited to see the sweets menu. Lucy went for Raspberry sorbet and I had Pecan Maple Tart with vanilla ice cream. The sorbet was really good; nice and fresh and sharp. The tart was okay. It tasted nice but it was greasy with butter and I couldn’t finish it.

When the bill came I knew it was going to be expensive. And honestly, I think it was overpriced. With the mains coming in at around £30 each adding on the drinks and desserts gave us a bill over £90. For 2 courses and a drink each I think it’s excessive for a venue such as this. The steaks are really good, but we won’t be back because it’s just too expensive.

After dinner we went off to The Alchemist on Bevis Marks, about a 5 minute walk from the restaurant. Immediately I could see that I would happily have spent my entire evening here instead. We walked in a saw a bartender expertly making 2 exotic and scientific cocktails. I later found out that they were Caramelised Rum Punch (the caramelise brown sugar and then throw the other ingredients in giving lots of sparks and flames) and Bubblebath (the concoction literally bubbled out of the glass; it was amazing). We had a quick look at the menu and I chose a Smokey Old Fashioned (described as Woodfood Reserve, Maple Syrup, Dilution, Jerry Thomas Bitters, Smoke) and Lucy had Peaches and Cream (Briottet Peach and Pink Grapefruit, Lemon, Prosecco, Fizz). Wow. This is a fantastic bar. The theatrics of the experience really make it.

IMG_9953

We got a little peckish so ordered off the bar menu. Salt and Pepper Pork Cracklings. Very tasty and light but for the amount we got, we didn’t think it was worth the price.

We had a few more drinks between us before we left. A Barrel Aged Negroni (Tanqueray, Campari, Vermouth, Oak, Time), a Ballbreaker (Tanqueray, Briottet Pink Grapefruit, Lemon, Blackcurrant Ball to Break) and a Vesper Martini (Portobello Gin, Reyka, Lillet, Lemon Bitters, Dry/Delicious). The last one was particularly memorable as it was served in a hop flask which you get to keep!

I would tell you how they made some of these cocktails but I wouldn’t want to spoil the surprise!

They also have a restaurant area at The Alchemist. It looks really nice and comfortable. I took a quick look at the menu and there’s plenty there to keep us interested too!

It was a good experience to celebrate the third anniversary of our wedding. The Alchemist is definitely on the list for another visit with so many crazy looking and sounding cocktails still to try. Missouri Angel certainly isn’t.

1. January 23, 2018

Wow, just a cool story. You just remind to plan for my next anniversary. Though we always go for long drive instead go to restaurant. Because we just want a few moments to pass together, just two of us. Thanks and late happy anniversary wish to both of you.

2. January 23, 2018

Dear lawd this is making me hungry! Congratulations to you and your partner! My husband and I might go somewhere to celebrate a good day tonight 🙂

3. January 23, 2018

Oh, wow the steaks got me drooling haha! Would you go back to Missouri Angel if food was less expensive?

• January 23, 2018

Honestly, I probably wouldn’t unless it was refurbed as well as cheaper.

• January 23, 2018

Yeah, it is. I wish I’d taken photos of the windowsills and chairs so you could see how bad it was.

4. January 23, 2018

Sounds like a fun anniversary! I love cocktails after a good meal. Especially if the bartender puts on a show!

5. January 24, 2018

Ooh I have been dying to try the Alchemist as I have heard that they do the most incredible cocktails. Congratulations on your third anniversary and while it is a shame that the bill was expensive at least you had a good evening!

• January 24, 2018

Thanks! The cocktails were definitely the highlight of the evening. You really should take a look at the Alchemist. You could spend the entire evening, and lots of money, there.

6. alisonrost
    January 24, 2018

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I have had nights like this too where we start out somewhere thinking it’s going to be the bomb, and in the end, close down the second place because it was just what we wanted. Can’t win them all, but at least now you know of a great new haunt for anniversary number four! x

• January 24, 2018

Thanks! We’ll be back to the Alchemist but the problem with London is there is always somewhere else to try. It’s a hard life!

7. January 24, 2018

Happy Anniversary, there is nothing worse than a dirty restaurant, its the little things like cleaning the windowsills that make a huge difference. I find I struggle to enjoy my food if the restaurant looks dirty.

8. January 26, 2018

Happy Anniversary! Those prices are definitely higher than I pay in Spain. However it’s your anniversary and it looks like a nice place to eat.

• January 26, 2018

I don’t mind paying if the quality is there. The food was very good but the rest of the experience let it down. I have had some very good meat in Barcelona though.

9. February 27, 2018

The food sounds really good. It’s a shame about the prices and the lack of cleanliness. Those things would be so easy to put right too.

• February 27, 2018

I agree. I think they were reaching too far without backing it up properly.

10. February 27, 2018

Your meal at Missouri Angel looked good, but that’s definitely way overpriced. I’d want something mindblowing at £30 per main course!

• February 27, 2018

I totally agree. I’ve paid that elsewhere and had wonderful meals.